Slip and fall injuries do happen. They may be minor and a little embarrassing, but sometimes they can result in serious damage.
As a visitor of a public location, a customer of a retail store, or an invited guest to a private residence, it is common to hold an expectation that the property owner will maintain the property in a reasonably safe condition and free of danger. Unfortunately, accidents can happen, and in many cases, simply because the property owner failed to ensure the premises are safe. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention estimates over one million Americans sustain injuries from a “slip, trip or fall” accident, and, sadly, over 17,000 people die in the U.S. annually because of these injuries. Victims of these types of accidents usually suffer moderate to severe injuries, and, according to the National Safety Council, are the single largest cause for emergency room visits.
If you, or a loved one, have been injured in a slip-and-fall or slip-and-trip accident you may be entitled to compensation for your injuries, as well as for pain and suffering. The personal injury attorneys at Diaco Law understand the many complex issues victims and their loved ones face after a slip and fall accident and have years of experience in successfully handling these types of claims. If you, or a loved one, have been injured in a slip-and-fall or slip-and-trip accident, please call the attorneys at Diaco Law today for a free consultation.
Contributing Factors of Slip and Fall Accidents
A slip-and-fall or slip-and-trip accidents occur for many reasons, and, in most cases, are the result of the property or business owner’s negligence. Among the factors contributing to slip-and-fall accidents include:
- Wet, standing puddles or slippery flooring surfaces, sidewalks or parking lots
- Uneven or broken flooring surfaces, including tiles or hardwood
- Unsecured or torn floor coverings such as carpet, rugs or mats
- Icy, uneven or cracked sidewalks or parking lots
- Improperly raised sidewalks or parking lots
- Unsecured electrical cords or lines obstructing walking paths
- Obstructions or debris blocking or improperly placed on walking paths
- Improperly stacked merchandise or over-stock
- Inadequate lighting or pathway lighting
- Improperly maintained stairs, escalators or elevators
- Missing or broken handrails on stairs or steps
- Failure to post warning signs of dangerous or hazardous conditions
- Failure to comply with federal, state or local safety requirements
A slip-and-fall or slip-and-trip accident can occur anywhere, such as a place of employment, retail locations, an office building, an entertainment venue, or even a friend or family member’s home. No matter where the accident occurred, it’s important to speak with an attorney who understands premises liability and its exceptions, and the exact responsibilities a property owner has. The attorneys at Diaco Law have many years of experience handling slip-and-fall or slip-and-trip accidents.
Types of Injuries Sustained in Slip and Fall Accidents
As the above list illustrates, a slip-and-fall or slip-and-trip accident can occur for a variety of reasons, and the injuries sustained in these types of accidents can be just as varied:
- Sprains, or torn ligaments
- Broken bones
- Bruising, contusions or abrasions
- Cuts or lacerations
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Facial injuries, or cosmetic disfigurement
- Broken teeth, or permanent loss of teeth
Sadly, some slip and fall accidents result in death, leaving family members who depend on them emotionally traumatized, as well as with an uncertain financial future. The personal injury attorneys at Diaco Law have successfully represented family members of victims of slip and fall accidents, securing the justice and compensation they deserve
If you, or a loved one, have been injured as a result of a slip and fall accident, it is critical you take the following steps to protect yourself and to preserve you legal rights:
- Seek medical attention immediately
- Obtain all medical records detailing your injuries
- Document your injuries thoroughly with photos and videos
- Document evidence related to our slip and fall accident by taking photos or videos where the accident occurred
- Get the names and contact information of anyone who may have witnessed your slip and fall accident
- Seek legal advice immediately and before you speak with an insurance company representative.
Slip-and-Fall Accident Compensation
Regardless of the circumstances or cause of your incident, or the type of injuries you sustained, you must contact an attorney that specializes in slip-and-fall or slip-and-trip accidents as quickly as possible so that you may be fully and fairly compensated. The personal injury attorneys at Diaco Law have seen many types of slip-and-fall accidents and the devastating injuries that often result. We understand the long-term physical and financial consequences victims face, and we will diligently fight for the compensation and justice you deserve. The types of compensation you may be entitled to may include:
- Payment for current and future medical bills
- Rehabilitative physical therapy
- Cosmetic surgical repair
- Loss of income during recovery, or due to permanent inability to return to work
- Compensation for pain and suffering
Depending on where the slip-and-fall or slip-and-trip accident occurred, and the contributing factors leading to the accident, property or business owners may be held legally liable for their negligence, whether it’s willful negligence or a failure to exercise reasonable care in maintaining the safety of the property. These types of accidents can be legally complicated, often requiring a thorough investigation to determine if there is a history of dangerous conditions or if the owner of the property willfully ignored potential hazards. The attorneys at Diaco Law have successfully pursued slip-and-fall accidents, maximizing the compensation victims have received.
Diaco Law Can Help You
If you, or a loved one, have been injured due to a slip-and-fall or slip-and-trip accident, please contact Diaco Law today for a free, no-obligation, and confidential consultation. We will review your case in detail, and advise you of your legal options.
A slip-and-fall accident can be life-changing, leaving victims with long-term or permanent injuries, and an insecure financial outlook. The knowledgeable personal injury attorneys at Diaco Law will fight for you, to ensure you receive the justice and compensation you deserve. Please call Diaco Law today. We can help you.
- Take photos of the area and the hazard that caused you to slip and fall.
- Make sure you report the fall to whomever is in charge of the area where you were injured.
- Make sure to get the full names and phone numbers of any potential witnesses.
Failure to collect any of this information will make it difficult to pursue a claim. It is important to work with a Tampa personal injury attorney from the outset of your claim rather than after an insurance company has become involved. To discuss your slip and fall claim with Diaco Law please call 888-SOS-FIRM.