Tag: brain injury
Types of Brain Injuries
Brain injuries are a serious injury that needs to be taken seriously.
The brain can be injured in several ways, each depending on the type of force and the amount of force that ultimately impacts the head. The injury may affect a single portion of the brain, multiple areas, or the entire brain. A few of the different types of traumatic brain injury (TBI) are discussed below.
Brain Injury Attributed to a Trauma
A brain injury is a damage to the brain that results in an impairment to speech, language, behavioral or physical functioning. When the damage is not caused by a congenital disorder, a malignant tumor, or a toxic substance, the application of an external force, limited blood supply, or birth trauma is often to blame.
A concussion occurs when the brain experiences a sudden impact, change in momentum, or a movement change. The cranial nerves can become damaged in the process.
- A concussion may be caused by a sharp blow to the head, a gunshot wound, shaking, or the force of a whiplash injury
- A concussion is the most common type of TBI. Open head injuries and closed head injuries can produce a concussion
- There may be a brief loss of consciousness when a person experiences a concussion, but it is more likely a person will feel dazed
- Diagnostic imaging tests like a CAT Scan may not show signs of a concussion
- The damage can be either permanent or temporary when a person suffers a concussion, but it will always require time to heal.
A contusion is a bruise, or pooled blood, on the brain.
- The bleeding is the direct result of an impact on the head
- Large bruises on the brain may require surgical intervention.
Coup-Contrecoup Brain Injury
A coup-contrecoup injury describes a brain bruise that appears both at the point of impact and on the opposite side of the brain.
- In a coup-countrecoup injury, the force of impact is strong enough to slam the brain back to the original point of impact, which causes additional damage.
If you or a family member has suffered a traumatic brain injury, the professionals from Diaco Law are here to help you pursue compensation for injuries. Symptoms can include cognitive, speech, behavioral and sensory issues. The law limits the amount of time during which you can file a claim, call us today at 888-SOS-FIRM!
Traumatic Brain Injury – The Importance of Hiring an Attorney
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) case can be complex, requiring the ongoing support of a medical team and legal professionals. It is important for you to have the right Tampa attorney standing by your side during these times, you need a team with the experience and resources to do what is required to protect the rights of you and your loved ones. Diaco Law is prepared to prove your current loss and project what you will need in the future to live a full life.
If you or a family member has suffered a TBI, call Diaco Law at 888-SOS-FIRM to discuss the specifics of your claim and schedule an appointment to meet with our team.